Talbot County is a county located in the west central portion of the U.S. state of Georgia. The 2010 census showed a population of 6,865. The county seat and largest city is Talbotton. Talbot County was created from a portion of Muscogee County by a December 14, 1827 act of the Georgia General Assembly. It was named after the late Georgia governor Matthew Talbot. Taylor County was created from a portion of Talbot County in 1852. he northeastern three-quarters of Talbot County is located in the Upper Flint River sub-basin of the Apalachicola-Chattahoochee-Flint River Basin. The southwestern quarter, west of Junction City, is located in the Middle Chattahoochee River-Walter F. George Lake sub-basin, while a narrow sliver of the western border, east of Waverly Hall, is located in the Middle Chattahoochee River-Lake Harding sub-basin. As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 6,865 people, 2,832 households, and 1,904 families residing in the county.