Talbot County is a county located in the west central portion of the U.S. state of Georgia. The 2010 census showed a population of 6,865. The county seat and largest city is Talbotton. Talbot County was created from a portion of Muscogee County by a December 14, 1827 act of the Georgia General Assembly. It was named after the late Georgia governor Matthew Talbot. Taylor County was created from a portion of Talbot County in 1852. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 395 square miles (1,020 km2), of which 391 square miles (1,010 km2) is land and 3.4 square miles (8.8 km2) (0.9%) is water.