Gay is a town in Meriwether County, Georgia, United States. The population was 89 at the 2010 census. A post office called Gay has been in operation since 1886.William F. Gay, an early postmaster, gave the town his last name.As of the census of 2000, there were 149 people, 61 households, and 38 families residing in the town. The population density was 173.1 people per square mile (66.9/km²). There were 69 housing units at an average density of 80.2 per square mile (31.0/km²).